- Parent Tech Seminars (mandatory)-
- Tuesday, August 30th 4:00pm-5:00pm & Friday, September 2nd 4:00pm-5:00pm.
- These are seminars to help you setup and know how to use Edmodo, Canvas, and Twitter. They also will discuss how to secure your child's iPad, and what apps are banned and rules for those approved.
- Academy T-Shirts are FOR SALE!!-
- New Academy t-shirts are available for sale in adult sizes. Price: $12/1 or $20/2. Shirts from last year are for sale in youth sizes. Price: $7. Email Academy administration to order!
- Hermitage Public Library- Starlight Story Time-
- When: Monday, August 22, 2016 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Where: Hermitage
- Every 2nd and 4th Monday for stories and craft making. All the supplies are provided and you get to take your crafts home. Some of the crafts will include bracelet making, cultural crafts, T-shirt design and so much more. For ages 4 to 10 years. Contact: Hermitage (615) 880-3951
Love God With Everything Update!
Love God with everything is the students law for this week! It comes from Deuteronomy 6:4-5. The students are reviewing Deuteronomy 6:4 in their Bible class this week, with Mr. Galford. This is the Shema, "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God the Lord is one." They learned that they not only have to hear the Lord but do what he says. The next verse is the law that they are learning this week, "Love the lord with all of your heart, soul, and strength." We change this to "Love God with everything." The students have been learning what "everything" means. I use an acronym "SAT" to explain it! "S" stands for their speech or how they speak to one another. "A" stands for their actions and how they love and treat one another. Lastly, "T" stands for their thoughts. Are they considering others before themselves, thinking about others needs, and being happy for their friends when they succeed or do well? This is something that you can be reviewing with your child at home! We have also been thinking through and discussing what each of those practically looks like.
What is Heroes of Faith Class?
Heroes of Faith is a class that introduces people throughout history who are believers and that have done something awesome for the Lord in service to others, in a non-violent way. We want to introduce, to the students, an alternative way of looking at and understanding what a "hero" is. Yesterday, the students were introduced to Leymah Gbowee. She is a woman who stood up for the people of her country, Liberia, and helped bring an end to a 14 year civil war. She is considered a hero of faith because she was able to bring peace and unity without the use of violence. Instead, she used her words to organize the mass chaos. This is Jesus style! The class activity for their Heroes of Faith class was making t-shirts that said "Make Peace." This was often written on her and the other ladies signs as the stood up to their corrupt government. Below is an audio recording with some further information on Leymah for you to reference, if you would like to further conversation with your child!
What is the Jesus Movie Class?
The Jesus Movie class is a a class that teaches children how to filter media as they watch it. We can often go through life and just be sponges for things on media and other forms of entertainment. However, the children are learning the word of God which becomes a filter on how they can see the world, understand things, and determine what is good and what is bad, what is right and what is wrong.
This week, the students watched The Emperor's New Groove. Loving your neighbor was a theme that was discussed. They saw how they emperor did not love his neighbor as he took land from people in order to build a luxurious homestead. At the end of the movie, they should be able to not just say it was "funny" or "good", but they should be able to talk about the themes of loving your neighbor in it and how it was done or not done, and how it affected others. This not only opens their minds in a movie setting but their eyes to the world around them!